Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Celebrity Designers Round 4: Models, Actors, and Reality Stars

Every person who has ever had their name in lights (or in the tabloids) for some reason feels the need to release a clothing line. Some actually have a decent idea that has potential (see Alyssa Milano). Others have an arrogant need to impose themselves on us...whether we want them to or not (see Heidi Montag). There are too many to go into detail about, but I'll give you a glimpse of as many as possible. 

Celebrity: Nicole Richie
Line: House of Harlow 1960 (jewelry)/ Winter Kate (clothing)
Established: 2007/2009
Rating: 8

It seems the wild girl found her calling! She's really got something here. I love her hippie-chic style. Her maternity line for Pea in a Pod was even cute. If it had been out when I was pregnant, I may have even purchased some pieces. 



Celebrity: Lauren Conrad
Line: LC by Lauren Conrad for Kohl's
Established: 2009
Rating: 2

I'll give her an 'A' for effort, but just because she had a desire to be in the fashion industry (as seen in her multiple reality shows), doesn't mean she should be given her own line! She didn't earn it, so I don't respect it. Besides, it's nothing new. It looks like everything else sold in Kohl's junior department. BORING! 

Celebrity: Heidi Montag
Line: Heidiwood
Established: 2008
Rating: -12 (yes, that says negative 12)


Do I even have to say anything about this? 

Celebrity: Sarah Jessica Parker
Line: Bitten
Established: 2007
Rating: 7

This would score much higher, but since Steve & Barry's went under, it's nearly impossible to find. I don't believe it has been picked up yet by any other retailer, so it's currently in limbo. I do love the line...and the fact that every piece is under $20. Brilliant!

Celebrity: Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen
Line: Elizabeth & James for The Row and that unfortunate line for Wal-Mart
Established: 2008 (estimate)
Rating: 4


The Elizabeth & James line for their own couture label, The Row, was a decent attempt to distance themselves from the Wal-Mart pre-teen line, but it wasn't enough. The clothes aren't terrible though, I'd probably even wear a few pieces...under a different label!

Celebrity: Gisele Bundchen
Line: Ipanema (sandals)
Established: 2007
Rating: 5

Bonus points for donating proceeds to Brazil's rainforests...or something like that. The sandals are okay, but I'm a loyal Reef girl when it comes to flip-flops. 

Celebrity: Kimora Lee Simmons
Line: Baby Phat
Established: 1998
Rating: 3

I personally HATE this brand. I hate all the logos and the gaudiness. The runway stuff even has too much gold! However, it is beloved by so many. I really don't understand what they see in it. Can somebody please explain? Besides, it is so annoying how she always pimps herself and her kids in the ads! Her modeling career has been over for a long time, but she can't seem to pass the torch! 

Celebrity: Alyssa Milano
Line: Touch
Established: 2007
Rating: 7

Knowing that athletic team wear for women was seriously lacking, Alyssa Milano introduced Touch. This is a genius idea! As a HUGE Yankee fan, I appreciate that she's doing something especially for the ladies! Some of it is cheesy (jeans with team logos on the butt), but for the most part, she's doing an awesome job with this line!

***Just a side note - Alyssa Milano was my favorite actress growing up! So much so, that I wanted to change my name to Sam (her character on Who's The Boss)! Since my parents wouldn't let me, I named my cat Sam instead. Yup, I realize how lame I sound right now, but I so don't care!***
P.S. I want both items shown in the above photos. I do accept gifts! 


This concludes the celebrity designer series. I know there are many celebs with clothing lines that I did not mention, but there are just so many of them, I can't keep track of them all. Make sure you vote in all 4 polls in the sidebar. The winner of each round will go up against each other to determine your favorite celebrity designer. 

Hope you enjoyed! Up next - Prom Season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment