Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm BAAAAAAAACK!!!

Sorry for the extended delay in posts. I have recently graduated from college with a BA in Fashion Marketing and am now on a massive job hunt. Anyway, that's no excuse...fashion waits for no man...or woman, as the case may be.

Today we are going to discuss the phenomenon of everybody being a designer. People who have no business "designing" clothes, since they are completely unable to coordinate their own wardrobes. Specifically, the topic of this post is Avril Lavigne. However, there are many, many, many more that fit in this category.

On a recent trip to Kohl's, I was disgusted, yet mesmerized by the pieces in her, so called, collection. Not one of these pieces should have ever made it past the design stage of the process. ***PHOTO Left: Pants meant for teens***

Now, I know that little Ms. Lavigne is not sitting at the drawing table designing this stuff herself, but she does claim that she has a say in what is produced. NOBODY in their right mind should approve of this crap! I understand the eighties made a come-back...but this stuff wouldn't have even been cool in the neon haze of 1986. ***PHOTO Right: Rainbow/leopard print Members Only style jacket***

I'd ask who is buying this crap, but I'm guessing the answer is nobody! I found all of these pieces on the 70% or 90% off racks! The dress to the left is a strapless, polyester number in black and pink leopard print. That apparently wasn't tacky enough, so they threw a few'Abbey Dawn' (the name of Avril's line) logos mixed into the print. I'm all for self expression and alternative dress, but there is a HUGE difference between self expression and a complete fashion disgrace!

I promise this will not be the last post on this topic. There are so many examples of non-fashion industry folks crossing over into the design world. Some of them do it very well (Gwen Stefani) and others, not so much (see above).

Post your thoughts below in the comments section. Which celebs do you think have done the fashion design thing well, and who do you think completely flopped?

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, this is a tough one. I agree with you that those things in the photos are pretty disgusting. But are they worse than most of the stuff you can find at American Apparel? Debatable.

    It is true though that a lot of celebrities seem to think "hey, I made tons of money with whatever I was doing, so let's get dumb people to buy clothes that look like dirt, but that have my name on it". How about nicolle ritchie? She was in nordstrom the other day, apparently, presenting her line. Do you like her?

    And jessica simpson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: congrats with college and good luck with your job hunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. American Apparel is another topic altogether! That place is C-R-A-Z-Y!
    Nicole Richie and Jessica Simpson are great examples. Nicole Richie is actually doing very well with it. She went high-end from the beginning and it's quality stuff. So, I would say she is a success, similar to Gwen Stefani.
    I fought really hard against the Jessica Simpson shoe line. Mostly because I don't care for her. However, in recent months, the shoes themselves have earned her a bit of respect from me. I don't love the line, but there are some great pieces here and there. The main problem is that they have her name on them, so I won't buy them!
    I think I'll do a new post this week on my picks of the best and worst of this phenomenon. There are so many to choose from!
    And thank you, so far the job search is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about men celebrities' lines? Like the J timberlake's or the sean comb one?

    ReplyDelete